Don't let the color scare you. Rachel Schaeffer, Dietitian and Owner of KNC, shares her "Green Juice" recipe, the perfect mix to get in all your greens in the morning, and some special ingredients to keep it sweet.
"A New Way of Eating: Rachel's Green Juice Recipe"
"So this is called my Green Juice that I make in the morning. Start off by putting a lot of spinach in, and then I put a few leaves of romaine lettuce. Then we can do some kale. Kale is a very tough vegetable so you want to make sure you rip it up into small pieces. And then I put in some, uh, snow pea shoots. And to sweeten it up a little bit, I usually put in an apple and some kiwi, that way it's not all greens, because that can taste a little bitter. And kiwis are very healthy, they actually have a lot more vitamin C than oranges do, and they're much smaller. And then adding lemon really cuts any of the bitterness that you're going to find in the greens. So lemon is a great detoxifier for your liver, and your liver is one of your main fat burning organs, so, um, you really want to take care of it.
And then you just puree. Okay, I think that's blended enough for the demonstration. Um, so this is what it looks like, really yummy, and depending on how many dark greens you put in there the color is going to change a little bit. And then you just pour it and you're good to go."
- A New Way of Eating
- Boosting Your Nutrition IQ
- Dr. Fieve's Depression Series
- Eat for a Longer Life
- Eating Smart with Diabetes
- Nutrition For Weight Loss
- Psoriasis: Real Patient Stories
- SPF: Sun Protection Films
- Staff Picks
- Rare and Undiagnosed Conditions
- Understanding Acid Reflux
- Attention on ADD
- The Reality of Addiction
- All About Allergies
- Ease Your Anesthesia Anxiety
- Anxiety, Fears and Phobias
- Arthritis: A Doctor's Perspective
- Asthma Answers
- What is Bipolar Disorder?
- Living With a Blood Disorder
- Blood Donation: A Step by Step Guide
- Breast Cancer Survivors and Supporters
- Recovering from a Head Injury
- Preventing Colon Cancer
- What it's Like Living with Crohn's Disease
- The Importance of Dental Health
- Coping with Depression
- Type 2 Diabetes: Are You at Risk?
- Real Life Answers: Diet & Nutrition
- Getting to Know Your Ear, Nose & Throat
- How Eating Disorders Start
- Eczema and Everyday Life
- Exercise: How Real People Get Fit
- Eye Health: A Healthy Perspective
- Pain and the Nervous System
- The Facts on Feet
- Let's Talk About Sex
- Pain in the Brain: Headaches and More
- Surviving a Heart Attack: First-Hand Account
- Why Hip Replacement Surgery is Popular
- Who is at Risk for Hepatitis?
- Holistic vs. Medical Treatment
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Coping with Embarrassment
- Lung Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment
- How to Know When it's Kidney Pain
- Mononucleosis: The Kissing Disease
- New Year's Health Resolutions
- Coping with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Ovarian Cysts: Real Women's Stories
- Effects of Aging or Overactive Bladder?
- How Parasites Affect You Daily
- Living with Parkinson's Disease
- Severe Amputation & Living as a Paraplegic
- PTSD: Life After Trauma
- Prostate Cancer: Physicians and Patients
- Tips to Quit Smoking
- What is Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Schizophrenia in the Real World
- Sex as a Stress Reliever
- Shoulder Pain: When is it Time for Surgery?
- How Sleep Habits Affect Your Health
- Living with a Severe Spine Injury
- How to Begin Spiritual Healing
- How to Manage Stress
- Tourette's: The Person Behind the Syndrome
- Real Life Traumatic Injuries
- Understanding Tuberculosis
- Urology 101
- Women's Health Stories
- Your Guide to Yoga
- Better Food for a Better Life
- Pregnancy Stories from Women Like You
- Cholesterol Basics and Management